Shuniah, Municipality of
Name of Committee: Age Friendly Shuniah
- Website: www.shuniah.org/age-friendly-shuniah.html
- Jason Evans (Community Services & Economic Development Officer) firstname.lastname@example.org, 807-683-4545
It is not easy for senior residents living in rural communities in Northwestern Ontario to take advantage and attend health and social service appointments, or participate in social and leisure activities. Rural residents have voiced concerns about transportation challenges for a long time. This is a persistent issue and, given the aging demographic of Northwestern Ontario, the need for affordable and accessible transportation services will increase in the future.
In Shuniah, the median age is 52.8 with residents 65 or older making up 23.5% of the population. The number one transportation priority as identified in the Municipality of Shuniah: Age Friendly Community Plan 2017-2021 is to “pursue transportation opportunities to allow for residents to get to and from Thunder Bay to attend appointments, shop, etc.” Additionally, Shuniah feels that this will contribute to increased social participation and inclusion, improved heath, including mental, and mobility, improving safety and general well-being for seniors.
The Municipality of Shuniah is committed to the following objectives identified in our Age-Friendly Plan:
• Foster a relationship with the 55+ Centre, Confederation College, Lakehead University, and Thunder Bay Art Gallery to bring more activities, programs, and educational opportunities to senior residents
• Create recreational Senior groups
• Investigate opportunities to house community programs, activities, and events in locations that are more accessible to all residents
• Support initiatives to increase volunteer and employment opportunities in Municipality
- New Horizons Grant
Current and Completed AFC Projects, Programs, Initiatives:
|Shuffleboard League||Social Participation|
|Age-Friendly Mobility Class||Support and Health Services|
|Adult Boxing Classes||Community Support and Health Services|
This profile was updated July 2018.