Wawa, Municipality of
Name of Committee: Municipal Age-Friendly Wawa Committee
The AFC work is led by a municipal committee of council and supported by the Economic Development Corporation staff, who do the organizing of meetings and activities. The Municipal Age-Friendly Wawa Committee meets quarterly.
The Wawa Age-Friendly Plan was completed in 2016 and current efforts are focused on implementation of three key projects:
1) Accessing funding and hiring a Seniors’ Support Navigator
2) Implementing the recommendations of a recently completed Seniors’ Housing Needs Assessment Study which included building 15 units
3) Improving the accessibility in public buildings which include accessing funding support to make the Wawa Legion and Municipal Buildings Barrier-Free.
- Municipal Core Funding
- Municipal one-time funding
- Enabling Accessibility Grant – Small Capital Grant
- Ministry of Northern Development and Mines (Provided support for Housing Needs Assessment)
Current and Completed AFC Projects, Programs, Initiatives:
|Project, Program, Initiative||Related Domain|
|Seniors Housing Needs Assessment Study – Completed March 2017||Housing|
|Tea & Talk Program (Monthly get-togethers with educational component)||Social Participation|
|Senior’s Drop-In Centre – Upgraded Social Area||Social Participation|
|Age-Friendly Businesses – Self-Assessment||Respect and Social Inclusion|
Falls Prevention Exercise Classes (At Wawa Family Health Team – inc. Stand-Up, Chair Based and Minds in Motion)
Community Support and Health Services
This profile was updated August 2019.